First off, big fan. Your communication with my robo-pancreas has been stellar, and it makes my D-Life just a bit more D-lightful and the slightest bit more carefree. The color coordination between you and pump, top-notch, I must say. There are a lot of meter options out there, Ultralink, but your blood testing capabilities have captured not only my blood samples, but my heart as well (okay that might be a stretch). However, I do have a few more suggestions that would most assuredly put you over the top in the Diabetes Community.
The first change I suggest is maybe adding a back light to your screen. Most of us Diabetics have learned to test just about anywhere; under the table at restaurants, quietly during church or during class (anybody else ever shove their meter between their legs in class to muffle the beep?), or while speeding down the road (No officer, I was not texting!) BUT, One place I haven't been able to master is in the dark. Not to say that I have not tried, but it usually doesn't end well and I wake up in the morning not really sure why there are a billion (that might be a small exaggeration) strips in my bed and only one blood sugar result in my meter history. Not to mention the times I usually test in the dark are the times when my brain and body are deprived of glucose and my body acts on pure survival instinct shoveling in all the carbs and sugar my still bloody fingers can get their hands on. Low Blood sugar brain + darkness is not an ideal combination. A backlight would allow me to get my results faster, without having to stumble to find the light switch or use 10 strips because I didn't have the sense enough to turn on a light (draining not only my precious and depleted glucose levels but also my wallet, but I digress).
Second, Diabetes is taxing and oft times discouraging. Your meter's calculations can be a source of pleasure or pain for us diabetics. It is for this reason that I think you should consider adding motivational phrases either printed under the result, or instead of the beep that usually accompanies the result, maybe BB King's voice could lend a little encouragement. You could use pre-recorded phrases like "BAM SUCKA!!!", "You are the Chuck Norris of Diabetes", "High Blood Sugars are BS"(haha get it?) or "You're the bomb.com!" (shout out to the 90's kids! Hey!) I think that would really make people want to test their blood sugar more, I know It makes me want to!
And finally, may I suggest one or two games? Maybe Tetris, or Angry Birds. Everyone likes Tetris right? And you could get extra points for good blood sugars? Sounds good to me!
Well, that is all the suggestions I have for you, and I hope you will consider my proposals for what could be the most awesome meter EVER. Thanks again for all your help with my blood sugar management Meter. You're a pal!
Sincerely,
Ryanne May
![]() |
| "BAM SUCKA" |
This Post and all posts this week are part of D-Blog Week. To see other D-blogs, or to participate, head on over to Bitter~Sweet by Karen for the deets!

I loved this! And yes I have shoved my meter between my knees, against my stomach, under my arm, and just about anywhere else I can think of in a panic when things get quiet in church, a class, or a meeting. I just need to turn off the beep...
ReplyDeleteTotally agree and so well written.
ReplyDeleteLove it!!!! I want games on my meter too!! Maybe we could get a few on our insulin pump as well. ;)
ReplyDelete