Monday, June 30, 2014

To my Dad

Hey Old man,

Happy Birthday! The other day I went to this Brazillian buffet with some friends. It had all you can eat steak and I thought about how much you would have LOVED it and if you could come visit me I would take you there for the big 5-0.  I hope that have something like that where you are so you can celebrate :) I am really missing you today and lately remembering all the things we used to do.

I remember how we used to watch Nacho Libre together and from then on when you would hug me you would say "ANACONDA ESQUEEZE!" And you hugged me often :)

I remember when I was diagnosed with diabetes and you came home from your classes and gave me the tightest, warmest, saddest, most loving hug in the world as I packed to go to the hospital. I can still see and feel that moment vividly. I never told you that.

 People always tell me I give good hugs and I think I learned it from you :)

Or that time I tried to watch Pride and Prejudice and you snuggled next me and asked endless questions  to bother me, such as "do you think he is hot?" "Are they going to fall in love?"  "Are they in love?" "When are they going to fall in love?"  From then on you always asked if we could sit down and watch Pride and Prejudice together, and I always said no.  Smart Man.

You were my favorite narrator in the whole world.  I can't count all the nights I begged you for just 'one more chapter.'  You started me on Harry Potter and though I LOVE the stories, I think I love it most because we read them together.

I remember how you could never sit down with out one of us kids pouncing on you.  Our own personal jungle gym!

I remember at my 8th grade Step up dance how you and mom came to chaperone and I was dancing with my friend Jesse and you came up to cut in and as I started to explain to him that was my dad and He wanted to dance with me...  until He grabbed Jesse and started dancing with HIM!

I also remember how many high fives and way to go's you got after this story got told over the pulpit at church! We always tried our best to embarrass each other whenever we spoke on Sundays :)

I remember you were young men's president when I turned 16, and I was so so terrified I would never get a date because they were all scared of you (until they got to know you more that is!) I think almost everyone of the dates I had back than have at some point expressed to me how much they loved and respected you. That was a great gift to me.

I remember when you would drive me and my friends from seminary to school, you would always have an inspirational quote for us....usually from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I remember when I wanted something I would say "because my wedding is sooner than you think," and how you would laugh and give in. (Requests were mostly to go to the store for Ice Cream.)

I remember when we would make trips to the store and we would always come back with so much junk food and mom would just roll her eyes.

I remember the night before I left for college.  I got up to get a drink of water and in the dark hallway I could hear you and mom talking and her saying " She HAS to go Kendall! We have to let her go." I never told you how much that meant to me.

I remember your delicious pumpkin roll and how it was my favorite, so when I would come home from school you would make a roll just for me, even though it wasn't Christmas or Thanksgiving!

I loved coming home from school because the whole time I was there you would never stop hugging me!.


I remember when you awkwardly gave me "the talk"  in a U-Haul on the way to Montana when I was 11. And I couldn't look at you for a week afterwards.  hahahaha

I remembered your child like heart and how you would sing me little bunny foo-foo to make me laugh, always with the fairy voice  at the end!

I remember when you tried to teach me to drive a stick shift, and how that is probably the most we ever fought.  Those two or three attempts  always ended in me crying, refusing to drive and you taking us home in a huff. My car now is a stick shift, but not because of you hahaha. (Thanks Uncle Mickey!)

You would also always instruct us to say this when describing you to other people : He's big and mean and does as he pleases, and everything he does is bad. They say if you were to kill him, it would only make him mad. We would always say it, but always dripping with sarcasm,  because we knew who you really were.

I remember how you never missed a chance to tell me how proud you were of me.

I remember how you couldn't sit for more than an hour, you had to be doing something with those hands.

I remember you never passing up a chance to serve somebody else.

I remember when you brought me to St. George and we talked for hours about everything.  You gave me such good advice.  It didn't happen often, but when mom and I would occasionally butt heads, you would be the buffer between us. Always so calm and collected, you were truly a peacemaker.

I remember how good you were with kids.  I so looked forward to when I could someday give you grandchildren. I guess you just get to snuggle them before I do now!!! :)

People always tell me I look like mom, but I always thought that you and me, we were kindred spirits. Mom accused me of being "just like your dad," on more than one occasion, and I was never sad about that.  You are to date the kindest, most genuine, Christ-like man I ever met.  I should count myself lucky to marry anyone close to the bracket you are in.

I know you are probably just as busy up there as you were here.  Like I said, your soul couldn't sit still even if it wanted to. I hope you know I am trying to  do my part here too. I love you so much Daddy.  Happy Birthday :)

-Rye


No comments:

Post a Comment