Friday, July 26, 2013

The Why.

Almost two years ago, I began praying about serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. A mission was some thing that had never appealed to me before, but I was coming up on my 21st birthday and I was confused about what I wanted for my life at the time.  But I knew I loved the Gospel of Jesus Christ and I knew I wanted to tell other people about the "good news!"  I spent a couple months praying and thinking about it.  I got my schedule in line for the next semester so that I could get my associates and work to save money to go. I would worry about all my nursing aspirations later, I was going to be a Missionary!

I pondered this for a few months.  I got no real answer which I mostly took to mean I needed to proceed. Than, as I began driving back to what I thought would be my last semester, I felt, very strongly, "Ryanne, you need to get going on this nurse thing."  I recognized this as the Holy Ghost, so I dropped my guitar class (still bummed) and retook Anatomy.  I was okay with this, it felt right, but I always wondered why the Lord didn't want me out with His other valiant servants, spreading light and truth. I thought maybe I just wasn't righteous enough or that I wasn't cut out to proselyte or learn a new language. In the back of my mind these thoughts were present, but I went forward with what I felt was inspiration.

This same semester, my cousin and one of my dearest friends, was in a car accident that left her with a traumatic brain injury.  For a while, we didn't know what her life would be like as a result of this accident. There was a period of unknown that was terrifying for our family.  I prayed a lot during that time, and though I had no real reason, I knew it would all turn out okay, no matter the results, because I knew that Heavenly Father was in charge. Somehow that was good enough for me.

And it did turn out okay :) It was, however, a difficult semester, but I finished my prereq's for nursing school and did well in all my classes. I applied to three nursing schools. I didn't get into any of them, and with nothing left to take, I left my beloved Rexburg, hoping that I would nab one of the coveted nursing student positions I worked so hard for and return.

 I went to live in Montana with my mom's side of the family. This was one of the greatest times of my life! I made wonderful friends there. I grew a lot spiritually.  I  had some time off from school and relax.  My two cute cousins were both having baby girls and I was going to be there for all of the excitement!

Then came some of the most horrible news I had ever heard. My sweet cousins baby was going to be a still born. Our hearts were completely broken. She was their first. We were so excited for her to come and be with her cousins and aunts and her mom and dad! I remember sitting outside the hospital room after she was delivered, crying and asking God, "Why, why did this happen?! She was ours, she was supposed to be ours!!"

And the answer came, clear in my mind, "She is still yours."
Suddenly I remembered. Temple covenants have bound her to our family. She is ours forever.  I was washed with peace knowing our sweet McKinley was never lost to us because of the temple and Heavenly Fathers great plan.

While in Montana, I applied again to nursing schools. This time I was accepted to Dixie State and I was pretty excited, but I waited to hear from BYUI.

On a stupid technicality, my application was rejected though I was (what I felt,) more than qualified. I had wanted so badly go to BYUI. My friends were there, it was close to the ones I had in Billings as well. There had also been potential for a relationship with a boy whom I had really liked. It was somewhere I was comfortable. The tuition was cheap, not to mention it is a great nursing school!  Yet again, I didn't understand why the Lord didn't want me there, a place that focused greatly on his gospel, a place I desperately wanted to be. I felt a bit rejected and unworthy.

So I went down south were I was accepted and tried to adjust.  It was very different.  I had a few family members I knew and I made a few friends and had some great roommates, but often I was lonely and sad.  I stayed for the summer thinking it was a good way to make friends, but I spent most of my time alone.  I called my mom and dad often and told them how I wished I was somewhere else. Deep down I think I knew this was where I was supposed to be, but had no idea why.

July 14th, 2013.
My parents died.
My heart broke.

But in thinking about the last two years, my life made more sense.

I was being prepared.

Had I gone on a mission, I would not have been there for my sisters right away. I would not have gotten to see my parents the day before their passing.  I would not be in a position where I could make sure they are taken care of.

Had I not been there for Ashley's accident, I would not have learned to have faith that Heavenly Father really is in control and no matter what the outcome, it really will be alright.

Had I stayed at BYUI and not been in Montana when Kaitie and Adam lost McKinely, I would not have had the experience that gave me a strong testimony of Temples and the Plan of Salvation that I now cling to.

Had I not been in St. George, I would not have had the immediate family support I had when the news broke.  I would not have been able to get to my scared and lonely sisters in the hospital as quickly.

This all tells me several things.

1.  God has a plan for my life.
2.  Things that happen might not make sense now, but we will know the meaning of all of this eventually.
3.  My best interests are always His motivation, even when it doesn't feel that way.
4. He prepares the way when he asks us to do hard things.

So, I guess the whole point of this is that I don't know why this has happened to me and my sisters.  I am living between hoping this isn't reality and the heart breaking truth that it really is.  I question why the Lord thought it best I should have this burden on my shoulders, or why He thinks I can do it at all.

But I am not angry. I am not afraid.
Everything works out.
In time I will know. Maybe in two years, maybe in forty. I probably won't even fully comprehend why until I get to see Mom and Dad again.

Until then I wait  in faith.  :)

Forever.


31 comments:

  1. Thanks for your great example. I needed to read something like this today ;) Love you and your sweet family. I'm gonna miss your parents like a crazy woman. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryanne,
    I know we don't know each other very well, but we were in the same ward at BYUI. I have followed you posting things on Facebook since the accident and think your faith and hope are incredible. This post was beautifully written and was very inspiring.

    You can do hard things. Keep it up.

    Will Gierke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryanne Carol Tank May. I will forever be amazed at your faith and strong heart. You have always been my hero (but really)and that fact has only grown firmer this last week and a half. I love you with all of my heart! Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully said, Rayanne. I've been so worried about you and your sisters since your parents died. I love your mom so dearly. I'm so grateful that we do have the comfort of the Gospel and the Plan of Salvation to help us through tough times. All my love to you, your sisters, and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are the worlds greatest missionary the world has ever known....simply for who you are. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU FOR SHARING! You are incredible Ryanne (: I admire your faith and know that God has plans you foxy lady. I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ryanne, you don't know my family but we know your Aunt Kathy and Uncle Gary. We are so sorry for your loss, but SO SO appreciate you writing and sharing your testimony. Your Heavenly Father knows you and loves you, as do so many people around you who know you and people like us who only know your story. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryanne, I don't know you but I know Madison and Noelle and Abigail and Matt Allred. I loved reading your story. I had a similar experience when I was praying to go on a mission. I was ready to go, but my answer was always no. I was so sad, all my friends were going and I was staying. At that time my parents were divorcing and my brother almost died and I was the glue that was keeping things together. It was hard but many lessons were learned. I grew a lot spiritually as well and took out my endowments and enjoyed going to the temple all the time.
    I hope you are still returning to St. George, I have two sons that go to school down there. Spencer and Connor Fankhauser. I hope they get to meet you while you are there. Noelle has told me about you and your cute family. If you EVER need anything, I come down frequently and I would love to help you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! "After the trial of your faith comes the blessings". Thank you for sharing such tender sweet feelings. You truly know who you are and so beautifully expressed it. Nothing will be much more difficult for you than what you've recently been faced with. Now you can go forth and strengthen others. Well done. Can't wait to give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryanne, I read your blog post through MMM's site. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings and your faith. I am so truly sorry for the loss you have experienced. I know that God will uphold you through this time and that your parents will be angels watching over you. They are not lost, and they love you and are invested in your success. Thank you for increasing my testimony and reminding me how mindful our Father in Heaven is of us, when it seems that we have been "neglected" when things don't go as we believe they should. May God continue to bless you and give you the strength and comfort you need. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great blessing to see clearly that the Lord has a plan for you and has been carrying it forward for such a long time. I had that preparation for my brother and it was such a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing story! I would love to share it on my blog! Let me know if I can-- email me at webberwonderland@hotmail.com. Xo

    webberwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I lost my mom in 1997 when a drunk driver hit their car...I was 26, she was 58. I lost my dad on 20 June 2013...he was 79 and had been in the hospital for a few months. As much as I have missed out from my mom being here in person, I have 4 younger sisters and 1 younger brother who miss more. I have a lot of nieces and nephews who never met her here and don't know how amazing of a grandma they have. I have a new little niece/nephew on his/her way that won't meet either grandparent. My heart aches for you and your sisters, for the losses you have and will have. For the missing of your parents that are just a part of you now. I commend you for seeing where God has put things in place for you. Continue to watch for the tender mercies. I do not know you, but I sure wish I could put my arms around you. Ask for help when you need it. Cry in public when you need to. Talk to your parents...they are your biggest guardian angels now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ryanne I am over here from MMM blog. Thank you SO much for allowing your story to spread. Your desires for being a missionary are now being realized. YOU ARE a missionary right here and now.

    I am SOooo sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the great and urgent work your parents must be doing over there on the other side right now. And how much the Lord had total faith in you........ to step in for your parents and take care of your sisters. Your maturity and wisdom speaks volumes in the way you write.

    Hugs from another sister in the gospel.

    P.S. I gave a lesson on Adversity in Sunday school today. I wished now that I could of seen your post beforehand. But I think I will still pass on your story on next week to the class if that is okay with you. There are MANY who could use hearing your strength and testimony right now in their lives.

    crapo(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ryanne....wow! I am visiting from MMM's blog too. What incredible faith you have. I am sorry for you loss and your trial....and your sisters. You can do hard things...you are doing hard things. I lost my grandparents and great-grandfather in a car accident when I was 13, 30 years ago. Time helps, but I still think about them and miss them. Your words are simply beautiful and your depth of character shows in how you discuss your feelings. Yea for the gospel. Yea for the knowledge and peace it brings when our hearts are hurting.

    And Lynn is so right...you are a missionary, right now, today. I would throw my arms around you too. Hugs, and hugs for your sisters too. I hope those in your circle will surround you in support during this time and as you navigate the future.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your faith! You are also right that we are all part of God's plan. It may take time to understand the why, but knowing that Heavenly Father knows us gives us the strength to continue -in ALL things. Love and blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are no adequate words, but I just want to say that you show great honor to your parents, they must have been incredible people to have raised a girl like you. I was in my thirties before I had to realize that in real life, unlike in stories, people integral to the plot of the story can die, main characters we love and need. You've been through terrible things, and felt the strength of the Lord, and you will continue to need it. You and your sisters will have angry moments, but when you come back to the Lord He will always be there to embrace you, He understands. I don't know that it matters that a stranger across the country cried for your parents this morning, but I hope my prayers at least will add to the many prayers being said on your behalf and help in some small measure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ryanne -- thanks for sharing with us your great faith and endurance.

    In an institute class a few years ago, our teacher gave a great lesson, and I can unfortunately only remember one line of it: "The calling of 'mother' (or father) is a calling that continues after death." You reflected that concept when you shared your sweet experience and the words, "She is still yours."

    That holds true, now more than ever. She is still yours, and he is, too. Forever.

    But you already knew that. :) Hang in there, my dear. I marvel at your open eyes, and the miracle of seeing the Lord's hand there, preparing you for this difficult time. I have spoken to another woman with the same gift, a gift I'm not sure I'd have, in the same situation.

    Keep going, my dear. I'll be praying for your and your sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing something so personal and close to your heart. What fantastic, deep understanding you have of things eternal, signs of maturity that I pray for everyday in my young girls. Examples like you are hard to find, thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read this post on the MMM Blog. I agree with him and others who have commented. What a remarkable young woman you are. May you know of and feel Heavenly Father's love for you and your sisters and other family members during this difficult time. Prayers for you now & in your future. Stay sensitive to that sweet, still small voice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read your post on Facebook and wanted to tell you how beautifully written it is and wanted to thank you for sharing these personal feelings. As you can see they have touched many. I wonder "The Why" a lot and then later I see the answer. One specific one that stands out to me me is about my 22 year old son. He has always wanted to be in the military since he was little. He left for the Army last February for basic training. We were all excited for him. 2 weeks in he got horribly sick and they had to send him home to have surgery and then he could reenlist in a year. He was heartbroken. 2 days before he shipped home my dad was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. He didn't have much time to live. If my son had stayed in the military he would have never gotten to spend those last months with my dad. Things happen for a reason. Sometimes it just takes a LONG time to figure out what that reason is. I am so sorry for the loss of your parents. I understand grief. I can't imagine how much grief you have losing 2 parents. You are a strong woman. Your parents are very proud of you. I have no doubt about that. I wish you comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. dear ryanne,

    Thank you for sharing your testimony and being such a great example despite the trials that have just recently come. I don't know you but I wish I could because I would give you a big hug. Families are forever and you figured it out early! I'm so grateful for your love as I felt the spirit through your words. Thank you for being such a living testimony of the savior's love to us. Mahalo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't even imagine your pain, as I have lost my mother at the age of 53, and that is soooo hard. (She was 79). I hope that the influence of the Holy Ghost totally fills you with comfort when you need it the most. It will be a long hard road, but Heavenly Father knows what you will need. Good luck in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ryanne,

    Thanks for sharing your experiences, testimony, and feelings. I feel bad for you and your sisters for the loss of your parents. However, I know you will see them again and I'm grateful you know that and take comfort in that.

    I have pondered a lot recently about life and the Plan of Salvation as a result of my 3 year-old son relapsing with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). He was initially considered high risk because the leukemia was extremely high at diagnosis. He went into remission for over a year and has now relapsed, thus requiring a bone marrow transplant.

    Needless to say, it's been a long battle, but Heavenly Father does hear and answer prayers. Like you mentioned, He does have a plan for each of us. I can't begin to describe all the things I have learned from this experience. God will have a tried people. I don't imagine for one minute it's because He is being mean, but because He does have a Plan and He loves us and wants us to be like Him. What a blessing the ordinances of the Gospel are.

    I admire you that you see how important they are. I admire you for your strength. I admire you that are so willing to share what you know with others. Although you haven't served a full-time mission, you are serving the Lord in His kingdom through your righteous example. In your field of work (nursing) you will have many opportunities to continue sharing and the Lord will be able to rely on your experiences and faith to help lift others you associate with. He has opened up missionary-type experiences for me and my family as we have gone through this and we have been able to be a source of strength for others who have gone through hard times. There is a purpose to everything we experience. I keep saying to others, it's not the trial that matters, but how we deal with it. You are blessed to be getting through your trials by putting your faith in Jesus Christ. He will always be there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry for your loss, but I'm so grateful for your example of faith. I really appreciate how you've put into words some of the things I've been learning lately. My husband and I have struggled with infertility for the last four years or so, and I struggled with many of the same feelings you expressed - was I not good enough? Did God not want me to serve His children? But recently we were prompted to begin adopting children from foster care, and I am starting to see how all along He has been preparing us to take on this new challenge. Thank you for reminding me that whatever road He asks us to walk will lead us to His love and His blessings, however long they may take to appear. My heart goes out to you. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for writing and sharing faith. Also, can I contact you about your diabetes? How?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ryanne,
    I came across the article in the Deseret News and then clicked over to your blog. I am your Bishop's sister, Annie. He has told us about your family and your loss and the loss he and his family, co-workers, and friends are experiencing now. We have been praying for you and your family during this time of loss, along with Jared and Jen and the kids. They all love your parents so dearly. We hope that you feel the love and support of Heavenly Father and all those that surround you, even those whom you do not know (like us). I cannot imagine the heartache and confusion that would come with a tragedy like this, but know that you are loved and that, like you said, Heavenly Father has a plan for your happiness and your influence for good in this life and in the eternities. We will continue to pray for you, your sisters, and your family. Stay strong and rely on the Savior and you can do all things that will be required of you.
    With Love, Annie (Hill) Rasband

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, and I know your faith will continue to provide the anchor your life needs today and all the tomorrows to come.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog today and I want to thank you for your posts. Thank you for your faith and for your endurance! You are a BEAUTIFUL example of what our Father in Heaven talks about when he talks about Queens! Thank you for your example! You give me hope and I am grateful for you! I am deeply saddened that your sweet parents have been called home, but I am grateful for the things you have done since to remember them and to make sure your family stays together forever! That is the coolest thing about the gospel is the ones we love so dearly on this earth we get to keep loving in Heaven! I pray for your peace and good studying so you can become a nurse that will help soooo many others on their tragic days! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ryanne, no wonder your Mama was so very proud of you! You are wise beyond your years.
    I worked with her at Rogue and loved hearing her tell stories about you girls. She always had a sparkle in her eyes and a proud smile on her sweet face. Oh, I miss her so.
    Take care,
    Susan Mann

    ReplyDelete