![]() |
| Bailey Ferguson Photography |
Deep Questions pondered I, and so began my quest. I started with a little research. Naturally, that lead to a Google Search which was actually meant to take me to Wikipedia, because lets face it: If Wiki says it, it must be true.
Here are some fun facts about these waist ornaments:
My Google search also yielded a plethora of fanny packs in different styles and colors for sale! Fanny's for sale:
Here are some fun facts about these waist ornaments:
- The fanny pack was traditionally worn around the waist with the pack portion at the buttocks. However, this was inconvenient to access and made an easy target for pick pocket-ers, so the fanny pack position was shifted to the front, for easier access and theft protection. ( Because, lets face it, it would take a pretty desperate pick pocket-er to reach around that area, if you know what I mean...)
- The popularity of fanny packs reached their peak from the late 80's to the early 90's.
- Fanny packs are considered a badge of an out of place tourist, older people, or the "un-fashionable"
- Weird Al discusses the use of Fanny packs in his hit song "White and Nerdy"
- Other names for the fanny pack include: belt pack, belly bag, buffalo pouch, hip sack, bum bag (UK), moon bag (South Africa), koala (Venezuela) and banano (South America.)
- Recently, fanny packs have been referred to as "hands-free-bags" by several designer companies who are bringing the fanny pack back into mainstream fashion.
- The convenience of the fanny pack has been lead to using them as carriers for concealed handguns and many manufacturers are marketing them as such. (Sources)
My Google search also yielded a plethora of fanny packs in different styles and colors for sale! Fanny's for sale:
There are even designer options!
It's even on the trend forecast for Spring 2013! And its no wonder, when there have been several
![]() |
| Click the link above for more! |
So, being that my fanny pack experience was so positive at the race, (It really was a diabetics dream!) and that Andrew Garfield wears one, (everyone agrees: he is smokin',) I decided to consider the option of converting from purse, to a "hand's free" option. Wanting to know more of what it meant to be a "fanny packer," I began a field study.
![]() |
| Sorry, my camera was dead...so I had to take this with my microwave. |
I wore my fanny pack out to a social engagement. I was greeted with so many smiles! "I like your fanny pack!" was a phrase used more that once. It must have really made others feel real good because there was also a lot of giggling.
I could even play volleyball with it still on, and not have to worry about nasty thief's taking my stuff. (1 out of every 12765893 thefts occur while at Church functions after all.) I had quick access to snacks, gum, pens, my blood monitor and medications for any who might be injured.
I made lots of friends, and by the end of the night, they were calling me Fanny!
Great right?!
To Summarize here is a quick breakdown of the pro's and con's of Fanny Packs.
Pro's:
- Convenient, easily accessible
- You can play volleyball with it on
- Built in anti-theft protection
- Can also act as belt to hold up your pants.
- Act as belt to keep your shirt from coming up
- A lot more fits in there then you think
- Positive feedback from my peers
- Trendy *See celebrity examples
- You can get a great deal on them online!
- Excellent for Diabetes Supplies
Con's
- It gets a little sweaty when you play volleyball.
There you have it people. The cold hard facts of "packing." So pack well my friends because life is a journey and you don't want to get left behind do you?
May Your Hammer Be Mighty,
Ryanne "Fanny" May


.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment