| So beautiful right?! You should have seen the view from here! |
In an effort to be more outdoorsy, my best friends/roommates and I drove on up to Jenny lake in the Grand Tetons on Saturday morning for a hearty hike! We packed our Lunch ables (20 year-olds can still eat Lunch ables with pride right?!) and we hit the trail!
Our journey was filled with highs and lows....literally. (Mostly for the pancreas challenged ones of the group....ie Me.) One the way to trail, my head was pounding, I had already drank my water bottle and I had to pee twice by the time we got there. I had tried to test in the car to fix this little BS issue, but I couldn't find my friend monitor.
[Crap.]
I packed everything else diabetes related, including the Glucagon, which I always forget. Not my monitor though. Oh no. Well, I get chugging water and I hoped the hike would help bring me down.
So just as we were about to take this:
![]() |
| Apt. 9 is mighty fine! |
I reached into my bag to fetch my camera and low and behold there was the monitor! I have never been so pleased in my life! (Until this Thursday when the new HP7 movie comes out.... :]) So I did a quick test, and correction bolus. I figured the regular dosage would be fine because my correction rate has been a bit off anyways. So onward we went!
The trail we were on lead to the Hidden Falls.
It's about 2.5 miles to get there and we were making good time.
We were feeling good.
| Obviously. This may have been a bit of a premature celebration though... (foreshadow?) |
Then we get to the spot were we were supposed to to turn onto another trail....but it was closed due to all the flooding that has been going on around here this summer.
Our guide and resident bear expert Alex told us we would have to go a little further on a tiny bit more challenging trail.
No Big. Just call me Davy Crockett.
Diabetes had other ideas.
I kid you not, like 5 seconds after that, I started to feel a low coming on.
I hoped it was just hunger, and I knew we were quite literally almost there, so I just tried to "push through."
I didn't want to have to stop us when we were 0.001 miles away from our destination,to sit for 15 minutes.
We went about one minute, and my brain started to get all fuzzy, and I started to fall behind.
I could deny it no more, the good old correction bolus and exercise had done their jobs.
I was low, I had to stop.
I pulled out the remembered monitor and found myself at a 63.
Nice.
My companions were of course as awesome as usual and waited with me, letting me know it was okay to stop, even so close to the top
(Shout out to Ashley, McKell and Alex. I heart you guys.)
I got half-way through my chocolate Fiber-One Bar, when I suddenly remembered that fiber helps with insulin absorption. Whoops.
So then, just in case, I pulled out my Capri sun from my Lunch able and drank that down as well.
![]() |
| Right on cue Alex sang her best "Low" by Kelly Clarkson . This is why we are friends. |
15 minutes later and the BS is back up, I am ready to go, still mad that I had to stop the whole caravan.
Is it not enough that Diabetes has to complicate my life, but make other people stop to worry about it too?
Anger.
(Me and Diabetes are friends, ME AND DIABETES ARE FRIENDS, Me and Diabetes are friends....)
Five minutes later, we made it to the falls!
(Might I also say that some creepy twelve year old "snuck" in a shot on his camera phone of those foxes McKell and Ashley. HAHAHA)
We ate our lunch and my blood sugar was back up to 124 and I felt real good.
We hung out about an hour then started on the 2.5 miles back.
By the time we were done, my blood sugar was back to 75.
Cracker time!
Then we drove into Jackson Hole to look around the shops.
My blood sugar started to protest again but I shut it up with some Yummy white chocolate ice cream :)
Then we went to the candy store.
Then I was so tired from the hike and the blood sugar roller coaster ride, We just decided to go home and we didn't even get to listen to Alex's moose tunes!.
And I slept pretty much the whole 2 hours back.
But it was so worth it. The Tetons are GORGEOUS.
The fresh air was so great.
The weather was perfect.
The company was satisfactory ;)
It was a great Saturday.
Take that Panc.
That is all :)


I love you! I am pretty sure no one minds waiting for you. They secretly wanted a break. ;)
ReplyDelete