I got my first paradigm 512 in purple when I was 12.
![]() |
| Good Ole 512. |
From that first poke in the stomach with the silhouette infusion set I was in love.
(Yup I chose the silhouette as a twelve year old. That thing they used to inject the quick set did not jive with me for some reason, I think it's because I wanted to be in control of the needle.)
It was so easy to bolus, and I didn't have to worry about calculation of dosage or Lantus and or poke myself more than once every three days!
It was beautiful, and really pretty comfortable. I was never bother by the infusion site and it was easy to hide.
My stomach was my cite location of choice...for the last 8 years.
(Yeah. I know.)
Of course I moved it around a lot, up and down, round and around. Side to side.
And now, my stomach looks like a battlefield.
Sure, I had tried my leg before, but that never went well. I bruised and bleed a lot, and my body doesn't really store fat in my little chicken legs (it likes to go OTHER places.)
So I felt stuck and afraid to try anything else, so every three days (or so....) I stabbed my poor stomach at a 45 degree angle.
That was until one day, Danielle, a PWD in my adult family nursing class gave a presentation about type 1 diabetes on the same day I gave my presentation on type 1 as well. ( THAT was a good day. Together we gave the best depiction of Diabetes EVER!) She put her site in her arm so she could show everyone. She also said that she would probably keep doing it because she liked it. So I was inspired to try it.
And I did it!
And I LOVE IT!
(Note: These are ALL outtakes. There was not one good one, BUT they do make for a pretty entertaining view :] )
(Note: These are ALL outtakes. There was not one good one, BUT they do make for a pretty entertaining view :] )
| This is probably the most hilarious one. "TEACHER! I KNOW! I KNOW!" |
Though it has come with quite a bit of challenges and getting used to.
A lot of questions and attention (Good and bad) from seeing the patch on my arm.
And it took a couple trying but I think this one I got on now is gunna last the whole reservoir
(Cross your fingers and say an incantation or some so the glue will stick with all the movement!)
From now on,
(well at least while I give my stomach a much needed break, hopefully not for 8 years though.)
A lot of questions and attention (Good and bad) from seeing the patch on my arm.
And it took a couple trying but I think this one I got on now is gunna last the whole reservoir
(Cross your fingers and say an incantation or some so the glue will stick with all the movement!)
From now on,
(well at least while I give my stomach a much needed break, hopefully not for 8 years though.)
I am ARMED and Diabetic :)
That is all.
That is all.

You can't do baptisms with a bandage over an open wound.
ReplyDelete"Armed and Diabetic"...Love that! The pump sounds great, I hope to get on it soon myself. Didn't know there were other options instead of the quick set. Glad you are giving your stomach a break, we all have our favorite spots! :)
ReplyDeleteoh man....this scares me, but it's a good idea...I will give it a try...
ReplyDelete