Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This is the One About Band Names.

Is it just me, or do you find band names hilarious?!
Today in class, 
( my last one for that course! Only two finals tomorrow and I am DONE-ZO!) 
I was sitting behind this girl who had on a t-shirt from a some music festival in California with a bunch of bands who had participated were listed.  
It was all I could do in class not to start laughing out loud at some of the hilarious names. 
Here is a list I made on my phone of some of the good ones:

  • OFWGKTA ( Yup. It could possibly be an acronym, or something you shout-mumble loudly when you stub your toe.)
  • Death Star from Above 1979 (Political?)
  • Skrillex (The brings to mind the image of some kind of t-rex/bird hybrid making a my breakfast)

The Skrillex.
Half-bird. Half T-Rex. 100% garanteed to blow your breakfast mind!
  • Green Velvet (Did Anyone else have an awful 90's flashback?)
  • Elbow. ( I wish I was kidding.)
  • And my personal favorite:  Freelance Whales 
Forget SeaWorld.  I'm a FREELANCE Whale.
I just googled some other hilarious ones too! 
(What? Don't pretend like you don't spend your time googling obscure band names?) :
  • Full Throttle Aristotle
  • Fatkid Dodgeball
  • Disgruntled Sherpa Project
  • Pimp the Cat
  • Eggplant Danceoff!
  • Hungry Hungry Hippos
  • The Walkin Talkin Toxins
  • Sun Dried Opossum
  • Toaster Fork!
  • Vermicious Knid 
But who am I to judge? I have often times found myself dreaming up cool names for my own supah-cool-soon-to-be-famous bands such as:
  • The Q-Tips (This might not have been the best idea though, since Q-tips are not for ears....)
  • The Candy Wrappers (Formed by three Sisters as a Rap experiment, consisting of me, Reeses, my sister Sydney as Skittles, and Melissa May as M&M. Notable performances include bustin some serious flow for Ma and Pop's anniversary)
Happy Anniversary Parents. All our street-smarts we learned from you.
  • Happy Without Pants ( An Ashley & Ryanne Evanescence Cover band Collaboration. Known for their haunting harmonies when singing My Immortal)
  • Sketch-a-rama (The all new, revamped Happy Without Pants, specializing in Savage Garden Covers.)
  • Scouts Honor ( Our most recent imaginary Country Cover band project consisting of Lady Loca (Ashley) on Lead Guitar, Spurs McGee (Alex) on drums, fiddle, and piano, 'Borine (McKell) on tamborine and band management, and  Ricki O'Shea (Me) drums and lead vocals. Look for our new single "If I die Young," made famous by the Band Perry, real soon.)
If you want to make your own band names but you are too stumped or not a freak like me, check out this BAND NAME GENERATOR.
 ( It gave my some pretty good ideas for my next project ;])

What are some cool/weird/funny band names you have seen/thought of/have been apart of in your imagination?


That is all. 

1 comment:

  1. You know, after reading this, I don't understand why no one else has commented either!

    ReplyDelete