Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm a criminal, sent to swipe and...jaywalk?

Did you know you can get a ticket for jaywalking?
Yeah me either.
But apparently it's possible because I GOT ONE!

So a little background, my apartment is right across the street from campus, and our complex is about smack dab in the middle of two cross walks, that NO ONE uses.   I have crossed the street many a time right in that very spot, because honestly I am not going to walk an extra mile (okay not quite a mile)  to use a crosswalk where I feel like I am in even more danger! (Seriously, I once saw some idiot from California, who apparently learned that stop signs with white rims are optional in driver's ed, rip right through that intersection!! Am I using that cross walk? No. )  So, as long as you are not a complete neanderthal you can be pretty safe when crossing in front of the apartment.  I have been scolded a few times by the campus rent-a-cops for crossing there, but I do it anyway.

Anyway, back to the tragedy.  So I am coming home from my dumb writing class, (which deserves it's own post) and I just want to go home.  So I wait, and apply the stop look and listen rule because as previously stated, I do not consider myself an ignorant caveman. (That's right MAN not woman. Man hating quota filled for the day.)  Three other girls are standing next to me waiting to cross the street too, and one driver see's this and stops. ( PS don't ever do this if pedestrians are not in the middle of the street, it just causes problems.) So all four of us begin to cross, and unknown to us,  there a cop sitting there waiting to pounce.  (Now, I will say this, I should have noted the cop was there and played into this "crosswalk" idea. )   So we cross the street and the sirens and the lights start-a-goin' as he drove a couple feet to pull us wild walkers over.  Yes, there was sirens and lights involved.  Quite the production.

By this point I know what's happening. And my blood starts to boil.  Big Blue gets out of the car, and starts telling us we were jaywalking (really?)  So the other girls play dumb. ( "I didn't know..." "Everyone does it..") I just keep quiet.  Then he asks for our drivers licenses.  No joke.  I of course don't have mine, but lucky for me (sarcastic tone?) he pulled me over right in front of Birch Plaza.  So I stomp upto my apartment and slam open the door, stomp into my room and yelling something about getting a ticket as I grab my wallet. (This was quite comical to my roommates apparently, but I can see why, I never get that irritated that easy.)

So I walk back to the police car and wait my turn to be cited, when who should see me pulled over but everyone I know ever in the world! Including my FHE brother Trevor, who jaywalked right behind the cop as he was gaping/laughing at me as he did so.  He was nice enough to wait for me. ha ha.  I just stand there seething (mostly at my stupidity, I must admit.)  as I received a twenty-five dollar ticket.

I haven't seen a cop on that street since, so hense I am still crossing in the same spot.  But i am convinced he just wanted to make an example of us poor girls. A lot a of good it did, nobody uses the crosswalk anyway.

Moral of the story is:  Stop look first for a cop and oncoming cars, listen, and go for it :)

2 comments:

  1. You didn't know you could get a ticket for it? You must have forgotten about my first week experience walking home from the library at 10:30 at night just wanting to get home and not wanting to wait for the walk sign to go up on the cross walk. Got pulled over and luckily warned, but it's a $50 ticket down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ew that's gross. And I did forget that you are right.

    ReplyDelete