Have I ever told you how much I love
taking care of people? Well I like it. A lot. I can't resist a
good sicky :) hahaha...
(freak)
This is probably
because I am not really a good "pep-talker," and sometimes emotion from other
people makes me uncomfortable because I don't know what to do or say all the
time. I much prefer barf
to sad and crying. Mostly cause I get
sad when others are sad, so that makes me pretty useless. Barf just makes me
gag a little.
(Enough already with the barf.)
Point is, taking care of the physical needs of others makes me feel less
useless.
Example:
There was a man I once took care of who was in a wheelchair. Several things had happened in his personal life recently that were not ideal. I came in and mostly did laundry and grocery shopping for him. Those first weeks he seemed so troubled. He told me a little about his situation, and all I could give was an awkward condolence. I just did the things he asked and usually got out early. Then, he started asking me how I liked being a CNA, and what types of things I would do at my old job at the nursing home.
He asked me about it several times, and each time I assured him that the work I did as a CNA didn't bother me in the least bit. After several interrogations, he finally broke down and asked for my help one day during my shift, saying that if I did not want to, I did not have to, but he had no other way and this task had to be done.
You would not believe the difference it made on this man's countenance. Just this one need fulfilled. He was a new man! This man was weighed down by many troubles, but that simple thing helped lift some of the burden, at least for a little while.
I was not good at helping and giving him advice on his situation. I wish I could have said everything right to ease some of the emotional stress. That is not a talent I have been given, but by golly if I can't give good advice or at least some decent emotional support, you can bet I will mop a floor, give a bath, help someone brush their teeth, bandage a sore and clean up the barf if I have to.
(Here we go with the barf again.)
That's something I am good at, something I can do for others. That's what makes me tick.
What makes you tick?
(PS. Look at me with my grown-up paragraphs instead of centering and lone sentences! Next thing you know there will be good grammar too!)
Your blog makes me tick ;)
ReplyDelete